Five connected teaching and research greenhouses built in 1912 were antiquated, structurally and energy deficient and well beyond their useful life; they were also being shared by eight plant science departments. SUCF commissioned MARCH Associates to study various scenarios to replace the greenhouses and renovate a portion of the existing headhouse for surge space. Four of the five greenhouses and part of the existing headhouse were demolished and new greenhouses constructed in their place. The new greenhouses include headhouse facility and support space, six independent teaching bays, shade/energy curtain system and state-of-the-art D.D.C. controls.