Wallace Johnson House at Hamilton College was built by the first “field” secretary for various administrative functions for the College beginning in 1922 until 1962. The College took ownership of the “Wally J” English Tudor structure upon Mr. Johnson’s death in the mid-1970’s.
In 1976, the College renovated the building as a student residence hall. Over the years as requirements for life safety and numerous conveniences advanced, sprinkler piping, land line telephones, fire alarms as well as data wiring were added in the most expeditious ways. This resulted in somewhat blighted interiors. The interior finishes were also tired and dated. Energy conservation features throughout were lacking.
MARCH Associates was commissioned by the College to study and develop documents for a comprehensive renovation and two small seamless additions. This work included asbestos abatement, code compliant construction, cultured slate reroofing, new interior room configurations, finishes and concealed mechanical/electrical systems.
The building opened on August 15th, 2018 and houses twenty-one freshmen students.